Friday, May 4, 2012

Super Moist Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake

Okay, So I'm on a bit of a chocolate and cherry kick.

Last night, I wicked big chocolate craving kicked in, but my flour was almost gone, and I NEEDED chocolate cake.
Then I remembered I randomly had a box of chocolate cake mix in my cupboard...which goes against everything I stand for. I never ever ever will make a cake or cupcakes with cake mix. NEVER.
To me, mixes just can't compare to the real deal. Not to mention they have that artificial-y flavor.

Buuuut, last night was an emergency. 
So I broke out the cake mix, added some cherry extract, vanilla extract, maraschino cherry juice, chopped up  maraschino cherries, and viola! 

THIS CAKE WAS SO GOOD.

Actually, It was one of the best cakes I've ever had. And so easy! 
The frosting I used was one of those frostings your pour over your cake while it is still warm, which is perfect for me cause I despise having to wait til your cake is cooled to frost it! It's torture...

This cake is so moist and flavorful, you might just die.


Super Moist Chocolate Cherry Sheet Cake
Pre-heat oven to 350.

For the Cake:
1 (18.25oz) box chocolate cake mix
Oil, water and eggs called for on back of box
Replace as much of the water as you can with the maraschino cherry juice from the jars
2, 10 Oz. jars maraschino cherries, roughly chopped (reserve 1/2 cup for frosting)
2 Tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tsp. Cherry extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix til combined very well.
Grease a 9x13" pan, pour batter into pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, til only a few crumbs come out on a fork.

While cake is baking make your frosting.

For the Frosting:
1 Stick butter, cubed
1/4 cup milk
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup reserved cherries
2 tsp. cherry extract

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and milk and bring to a boil.
Add in confectioners sugar and cherry extract and mix til smooth.
Stir in reserved cherries.
Pour frosting over warm cake!

EAT!


Just look at that moist gorgeous-ness!


Happy Friday :)









No comments:

Post a Comment